Categories:

Choir Kickoff

Back to School Bash a Blast
Drawn to JHS: Libby Phillips, Kylie Bowlin, Kylie Miller, Avery Humphries, and Jenya Ratanjee draw with chalk at the Back to School Bash on Aug. 17 at the Buda City Park.
Athena Metzger

To promote connectivity and spirit, the JHS choir organized a back-to-school get-together on Aug. 17 at the Buda City Park. JHS choir members and their families were welcome to attend.

“This is the first year we’ve done this,” student conductor Kate Parker (11) said. “It’s because we have a new choir director this year. We’re here just playing a few games, getting to know each other, and bonding before school.”

The event had games including a hula-hoop relay, beanbag toss, Cheeto-throwing game, and a watermelon race.

“It’s been really fun,” Sophia Vaughan (10) said. “The Cheeto thing really adds to the aesthetic.”

The bash was organized by the choir council and funded by parent donations and the booster club.

“The skeleton of the plan was done by Mr. Standish,” Parker said. “He planned the games and what food we would eat, and the council planned smaller endeavors like the location, how to promote it on social media and to parents, and other smaller activities.”

The purpose of the event was to encourage communication and loyalty among the choir periods.

“Since different choir class periods work on different music, it’s a rare occurrence that we get to all hang out,” Parker said. “But it’s been really fun, and there are a lot of fun games and things to do.”

The choir hopes to make back-to-school get-togethers a tradition in coming years, as well as plan future ones this year.

“I think we’re going to keep doing this,” choir director Nick Standish said. “We’ll keep seeing what people are excited about and do socials like this all year. Not everyone has to be best friends, but they need to be able to coexist and have a sense of communication, otherwise choir doesn’t work. But we’re just here building community today, and in choir that’s really important.”

Donate to Jag Journal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Johnson High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.