Categories:

FFA Ice Cream Social

Agriculture Club Hosts Promotion Event
Farming the Future: (left to right) FFA student directors Haley Robertson, Harley Ellis, Morgan McCallum, Cyan Baesse, Marley Dionne, and Summer Hundl explain the different activities through the club.
Athena Metzger

To present the opportunities and benefits of joining the farmer’s association, the JHS FFA hosted an ice cream social on Wednesday from 4:30-5:30 p.m. in room 143, open to all students interested in joining the club.

“Our goal is student involvement,” FFA Advisor Megan Hansen said. “We just want to give students a place where they feel like they can belong. We do a lot of leadership stuff and games and we want to make everyone feel involved. There’s something for everyone, whether that be welding, construction, floral design, animal shows, or anything else.”

Normally, the FFA meets every third Wednesday. Last year there were 70 to 80 members, but this year the number is estimated to be less. Around 40 people came to the social on Wednesday.

“It’s probably because we got a couple of new teachers, Mr. Gloria and Ms. Gage,” FFA student director Marley Dionne said. “We lost a lot of seniors, but we also gained a lot of freshmen, so it kind of evens out.”

There are numerous opportunities available through FFA, including animal shows, construction projects, conventions, quiz teams, and more. Animals available for purchase include cattle, lambs and goats, pigs, turkeys, rabbits, and chickens, the majority of which can be housed at the Buda Vocational Agriculture building, 3817 Jack C Hays Trail #3579.

“When you purchase an FFA tag for your animal, it makes you eligible for major shows,” Dionne said. “So you can compete in the local shows and also bigger shows.”

Show opportunities include Career Development Events (CDEs) in the spring, Leadership Development Events (LDEs) in the fall, speaking contests, the agriscience fair, and district, area, and state FFA conventions, as well as jackpot shows.

“A jackpot show is basically just a practice show to get your animal ready for competitive shows,” Dionne said. “Even though you can do this at home, it’s nice to give you another opportunity.”

The FFA fee is $35 with financial aid for those unable to pay. The association will begin to release a monthly online newsletter for those who can’t make it to the meetings. Future social events this year include a Halloween party, Thanksgiving potluck, and Christmas party, organized by Dionne and Harley Ellis.

“I thought the meeting went by really productively. We got out the information and I think we made everyone feel welcome,” Dionne said. “FFA is a friendly program, and we’re welcome to everyone who wants to join.”

Donate to Jag Journal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Johnson High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.