Categories:

Homecoming Dance Hosted For Sixth Year

Homecoming King Mason Stock with Homecoming Queen Kaylee Rivera after being announced at the football game, Sep. 27.
Submitted Photo

The sixth homecoming dance took place two weeks ago in the cafeteria for the student body. The night before the homecoming queen and king were announced, at the homecoming game. Kaylee Rivera won homecoming queen and Mason Stock won homecoming king. 

“I didn’t expect to win,” Rivera said. “It was exciting, at first I was really nervous, and I was really scared.”

The senior girl hadn’t even known she was going to be nominated. 

“I said it like a joke at a field trip, and we only had two days left to nominate yourself,” she said. “I don’t know how I made it with those two days.”

For some students, like Rivera, the highlight of the dance isn’t what happens at the dance.
“I’m going to miss discussing all the plans with my friends like ‘Whose house are we gonna get ready at, like what dress, what color,’ all of that,” she said.

For Mason Stock, the main focus wasn’t what dress he would wear but instead the football game and playing well.
“I’ll definitely miss the feeling of playing the homecoming game and winning that game,” Stock said. “It’s a fun experience.”

Most of the planning for the dance is prepared by the student council more than a month in advance. Tickets were sold for $10 to 1300 students and guests with the money made through ticket purchases from this year’s homecoming will help fund next year’s homecoming. 

“I think it was great, it was a good time,” student council teacher sponsor Noah Bonner said. “Nobody died, which was good, that is the goal, and a lot of kids showed up, but I think most of all it went very well.”

Donate to Jag Journal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Johnson High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.