The Student News Site of Johnson High School

Jag Journal

Jag Journal

Jag Journal

Tune In To New Orchestra Class

Strings enter the campus for start of school year
Cavasos+teaching+orchestra+during+4A.+
Britney Crowe
Cavasos teaching orchestra during 4A.

Even though orchestra has only been a class for four weeks, even though there’s only 16 students, everyone is trying their best. This year, the first JHS orchestra class has started taking over the choir room every 4A.

The strings haven’t started after school activities just yet, but they have started organizing concerts, trips and other social activities. 

“The fun thing is since it’s the first one [class], I’m able to create what our system and cultures are going to be like with the students,” orchestra teacher Eric Cavasos said. “We’re growing together and deciding on what our programs are going to be like, so that’s exciting.”

Cavasos said his number one goal this year was to build a brand for the program. 

“I want more people in the community to know we exist,” Cavasos said. “That is my priority at this point and then it’s getting more people to join us.”

Sophomore Hazel Barksdale joined the orchestra class this year, but has been an active violinist since she was six. Barksdale said this was her first experience playing in a classroom and not with a private tutor, but she likes it. 

“I’m just happy that we have an orchestra now,” Barksdale said. “I look forward to the program getting bigger.”

Barksdale has gotten started on working with another violinist and cellist for a small ensemble performance in their class. 

“It’s a lot of fun making music with other people who feel the same way and we get to play some really cool pieces,” she said.

Freshman violinist Sharanya Rajamani-Ratanjee described the class as chill while also being intense. 

“For orchestra, the only way you’re going to make music is if you listen and if you practice,” Rajamani-Ratanjee said. “If you don’t listen and you don’t practice then you can’t do anything, so it is kind of intense, but then the teacher’s chill, so the class is chill.”

One thing she really likes about the class is practicing. She likes that when she practices it’s not so good at first.

“It’s like all the wrong notes in the wrong place,” she said. “But then when you compile it all together at the last moment it sounds so good, and you’re just like I did it! When you actually do it, it’s so rewarding.”

Both the violinists and Cavasos expressed their excitement for the organization’s development in the next few years. 

“I feel really optimistic about the program,” Barksdale said. ”Especially in the future and it’s been a great start.”