The Student News Site of Johnson High School

Jag Journal

Jag Journal

Jag Journal

Ivey Strong!

Pink Out October Supports Ms. Ivey
Michael Rodrigiuez
At the pink out pep rally, teachers participated in stunts with the cheerleaders before the pie in the face occured.

Striding through the halls of Johnson High with bright, vibrant, fun colors. Standing at about 5’9” here comes the one and only Ms. Ivey! Never failing to put smiles on students and staff alike, Ms. Ivey, or as students and staff nowadays tend to call her Ms. Ivey ‘Strong’, has had a tremendous impact on students’ lives during her years teaching. you could almost always find her helping out in some sort of science class. Ms. Ivey’s ‘can-do’ attitude and kindness, like no other, stretches far beyond school work with how she loves to help people.

Senior Kaleb Garza attests to her great attitude and loving nature to reach out far beyond just to help out even a little bit.

“She helped me when I needed help most in class,” Garza said. “She also helped me when I was a sophomore, when I got discharged from the mental hospital.”

Every student Ms. Ivey has connected with, has at least one or more things they truly love about her being here helping out in class. Ms. Ivey has that ability to turn everybody’s frown upside down. Senior Peyton Davila gets a good laugh whenever Ms. Ivey is around.

“She has a great sense of humor; she always made me laugh when I was having a bad day,” said Davila.

Ms. Ivey is loved by all her students that really got to know her. For the time being, she isn’t actively working at Johnson High School, due to her breast cancer diagnotion. Students really miss her never-ending, radiating, positive energy.

“She really tried to connect with me and help me with my school work,” Davila said.

Getting work done is usually a struggle at school due to lack of motivation, boredom and creativity. Ms. Ivey made the utmost effort to make the work at school interesting and to make the classroom a better environment for students to get ready to learn. Senior Layne Coloma enjoys the excellent assistance and advice that Ms. Ivey loves to give out.

“She helped me with getting work done,” Coloma said. “She also helped me with personal advice and it’s really easy to connect with her, plus she also made the classroom have a very welcoming vibe.”

Tributes for Ms. Ivey and her family have been done, such as the ‘pie in the face’ fundraiser for Ms. Ivey’s family where senior Tyler Grumbles got to pie from winning a raffle to do so. Students at Johnson High School all collectively wore pink that day in her honor.

“I’ve brought her lunch quite a few times that I’ve made in culinary to give to her,” Garza said.

The fundraiser ‘pie the principal’ assisted by the cheer team, this was a tribute for the Ivey family to help raise money for them. It was successful with a donation near $100 and principal Mr. Miksch got pied right in the middle of the gym during the pink out pep rally.

“One tribute I did for her was when we raised money for the pie the principal for her family in October and I got to pie Mr. Miksch,” Grumbles said.