Girls track competes in regional meet after winning area

Junior+Sydney+Silas+takes+the+baton+from+freshman+Jade+Selmon+in+the+4x100+relay+at+the+Canyon+Lake+track+meet+earlier+this+season.+

Ava Swanson

Junior Sydney Silas takes the baton from freshman Jade Selmon in the 4×100 relay at the Canyon Lake track meet earlier this season.

Alissa Palacios, Staff Writer

The varsity girls track team is competing at the regional meet today at Hero Stadium in San Antonio. The team advanced after placing first at the area track meet on April 20 at Canyon High School.

Sage Bartlett, Kyra Gaddy, Jadyn Jaeger, Stephanie Jewell, Sidney Kinnison, Sophia Olivarez, Elektra Sanchez, Jade Selmon, Sydney Silas, Zaniah Hoskins and Anilisa Martinez qualified for the regional meet.

“Afterwards, I always feel extremely proud of both myself and my teammates. This will be our first time maybe going to state in track at JHS and I’m excited to be a part of that,” junior Sydney Silas said.

The girls competed in the 4x100m and the 4x200m relay. They placed third overall in the 4x100m and first in the 4x200m at the area meet.

“I was so shocked at how we performed, we did our best and we have worked so hard for this.

We came together and to be able to advance on is so amazing. We have a high chance of going to state and I’m so excited,” junior Sidney Kinnison said.

In all three relays, the team made new school records in the 4×100, 4×200 and the 4×400. Freshman Jade Selmon ran in the 4×100 and also competed in the 100m hurdles. 

“I made it into regionals with this specific team. I’m very appreciative of the opportunities I have come across while being a freshman and I can’t wait for the next season,” Selmon said.

Freshman Zaniah Hoskins competed in the triple jump and placed second, making it to regionals. She also competed in the 100m hurdles but missed by one spot.

“I accomplished going to regionals as a freshman in two events,” Hoskins said. “I felt really good after every event knowing I worked hard out of the school to be able to go as far as I have gone.”