The Student News Site of Johnson High School

Jag Journal

Jag Journal

Jag Journal

21 Savage Performs in Austin

Rapper Features New Album in American Dream Tour
Claudia Plascencia
Rapper 21 Savage on stage at his May 14 Germania Insurance Amphitheater Austin, Texas concert.

The British rapper, 21 Savage, made his stop in Austin, Texas on Tuesday May 14. His tour featuring songs from his new album, American Dream, reached its peak at the Germania Insurance Amphitheater near the Circuit of the Americas. During the concert, 21 Savage announced Austin as his best stop so far. 

The set featured J.I.D., Nardo Wick, and DJ Marc B as openers. The opening musicians performed for two hours before 21 Savage appeared but with J.I.D. as a second opener, the crowd wasn’t too upset. J.I.D.appeared in a baseball jersey and hat covered in LED lights playing songs such as “Stick” and “Surround Sound” to get the crowd excited.

21 Savage announced his delay due to a headache but began act I with “No Heart” after introduction visuals of his mom being interviewed. The rapper then performed “Jimmy Cook” and “On BS”.  

To open his act II, the musician played news recordings of his arrest in 2019 before rising up from under the stage. He began act II with “Don’t Come Out the House”. The act also featured his most popular songs like “Topia Twins”, “Glock in My Lap”, and “Creepin”. Act II was a highlight for more of the crowd, and more moshing began. 

For his last act, 21 opened with a documentary-style skit of his progress throughout the years before starting his song, “Runnin”. The rapper ended the hour and a half long set with his  song, “Redrum”, which ranked number five on US Billboard Hot 100.

The concert was a perfect example of the growth 21 Savage has had since his older albums, like ‘Savage Mode II’ and “I am > I was”. “Savage Mode II” showed more usage of instruments, especially the drums, while “I am > I was” appeared quieter for fans. But  “American Dream” was shown to be a good combination of both albums with a quieter intro for most of his songs escalating into the more upbeat chorus parts, which proved to be fan favorites, like “Redrum”. 

The concert was entertaining for anyone who was looking for a chance to dance, jump, and scream their voices away. Although 21 appeared tired at the beginning of his set, he continued to bring the energy with his songs. He paid attention to the crowd and would call out certain individuals in the crowd who he felt appreciated his music, and at a certain point performed songs just for the women in the audience because he said they were bringing the energy.