The Student News Site of Johnson High School

Jag Journal

Jag Journal

Jag Journal

Choir solo and ensemble

Ryan Sheely
Senior Noah Moore practicing his solo

Solo and ensemble UIL is an event where choir students sing their respected memorized songs in front of a singular judge to get their rating from five being the worst and one being the best. Students prepare themselves for a long stressful month full of nonstop practice, sophomore Justin Mowery is no exception.

“I’m practicing for 10-20 minutes a day and will occasionally chill and listen to my music throughout the day,” Mowery said. “I get more practice while working with my voice lesson teacher.”

Each piece of music has it’s own story, each having their own special twist to it. Freshman AJ Vaughan’s piece is differentiated with diversity.

“My song is called ‘The Lass of The Low’ and it’s about a poor lady who is in love with a rich man that never notices her,” Vaughan said.

New, old, and returning students are all encouraged to participate in solo and ensemble, most having this competition required as a grade. The more experienced singers such as Junior Kylie Miller, has quite a bit of experience in this field of music competition.

“I have done solo and ensemble for the past two years,” Miller said. “Last year, I got a perfect score on my solo.”

Most, if not all of these ferocious competitors in this year’s UIL solo and ensemble competition have a hard goal driving them to get the best score possible, senior Ethne Ferrel intends to practice until perfection.

“My goal is to get a one on both auditions this year,” Ferrel said. “Like I did last year. I intend to practice until I do.”

Being nervous is a large factor for most when it comes to competition. Having confidence when competing can drive someone a long way.

“I’m very confident in my solo piece this year because I believe I have worked very hard and really truly enjoy singing this song,” Vaughan said. “I am very motivated to give it my all.”